Post awesome things you have been doing recently

irezumi

A friend is the motorcycle advocate for Garza Law. They have purchased Thunder Roads TN/KY and she wanted the inaugural issue to display the diversity of riders and rides. Asked me to have my '78 cafe-styled GoldWing rescue as one of their cover bikes. Wednesday evening was their release party and a great time. If you are in TN/KY, stop off at a motorcycle-related business and check out a copy. It is also online at: https://issuu.com/thunderroads8/docs/thunder_roads_tn_ky_web_pdf?fbclid=IwAR3n1tvTaAUbeAX-lslNeYY1eyUaPNKLVB1QsznTPK8jSr_Z18pLVQsJlik

• 4 months later...
31 minutes ago, Dan said:

so I am into guns and 2nd amendment support, going to the range, getting ongoing training, etc, etc

the awesome thing is I have had my conceal carry permit for a year now,

I love carrying.

I’ve been waiting for COVID to die down, but want to get my conceal carry permit this year. Without getting into politics, the divide between the two sides and the growing extremism has me to the point where I bought a handgun after 10 years being gunless. I hope I never need it!

15 hours ago, Hogrider said:

I’ve been waiting for COVID to die down, but want to get my conceal carry permit this year. Without getting into politics, the divide between the two sides and the growing extremism has me to the point where I bought a handgun after 10 years being gunless. I hope I never need it!

these are mine

20211120_134658.jpg

We have a locker with several 22, a 410, a 12 gauge, and a 30-06. All long guns. Although a firm 2nd amendment supporter, I don't carry. I appreciate those that do. I was never any good with a hand gun and don't trust my own judgement in a situation where one might be useful. My tattoo artist carries, and I told her on first visit that it was appreciated and helped customers feel safer (unless they are snowflakes worried about the presence of firearms).

If ever called on for national defense, I feel the old Springfield (being a retired military weapon) is best suited.

• 1 month later...

The turn-out was awesome, the occasion shitty. End of an era, the Time Warp Tea Room closed after last Tuesday. Our vintage motorcycle club had their last meeting at the Time Warp but will move ~1/2 mile North to Twisters. Everyone really appreciates Dan and Peggy basically keeping it open one day a week for us since COVID started. The usual hoodlums showed up and terrorised the area.
1a86c1f52cb1b9254fed06f40a2ac264.jpgef61852e0e78965927c97932a342b5df.jpg545ee00452c16d0efef1ea635469a4a4.jpg67546fdc986d14360b2a8cab921cb839.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

The only "amazing" thing I've been doing lately is job hunting. Honestly, it’s stressful. I’m always worried about having enough money for basic expenses and stuff each month. There are lots of jobs on Layboard https://layboard.in/vacancies/jobs-in-uae/jobs-in-dubai/speciality/baker, where I’ve spent most of my time. I sent my CV to several companies and I’ve got decent baking skills, even without formal training. So I hope they'll give me a chance to do a test task or something to show what I can do. 

2 hours ago, SchroederKr said:

The only "amazing" thing I've been doing lately is job hunting. Honestly, it’s stressful. I’m always worried about having enough money for basic expenses and stuff each month. There are lots of jobs on Layboard https://layboard.in/vacancies/jobs-in-uae/jobs-in-dubai/speciality/baker, where I’ve spent most of my time. I sent my CV to several companies and I’ve got decent baking skills, even without formal training. So I hope they'll give me a chance to do a test task or something to show what I can do. 

Good luck. Job hunting sucks. I got laid off from a company after 20 years and it took six months to find a job. I was in the dreaded “middle” management role at an IT company. A little over two years later my new company was  bought out and they did a “restructuring” which means the people doing the work get fired so the people sitting on their fat asses get fatter.  I couldn’t find what I really wanted so I just retired.

Might be a good time to think about switching fields.

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2024 at 6:59 PM, Dan said:

I am retiring 10/14/2024 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations. I'll give a little unsolicited advice - start planning now. I've seen people who have a hard time making the transition. I had a friend who had big plans - he was going to record his originals, finish a book he had started (it was actually pretty good), work on a screen play, do some traveling (even bought a little sports car to take his trips in). When he retired, he decided he'd just spend "some time" decompressing. He wound up spending his days reading comic books and playing video games. He also started gaining weight, and he was already overweight to start with.

Two years later he was still reading comics and playing video games. He hadn't recorded a single song, written a word on either his book or screenplay, hadn't taken a single trip. I had a gentle talk about all the great things he wanted to do and got the, "I know, I getting ready to start, I just needed som "me" time." Another three years passed and he still hadn't recorded a single song, written a single word or taken a single trip. AND he had gained about 100 pounds. We parted ways over politics; I asked him to stop bringing it up because we are about as opposite as it's possible to be, but he wouldn't shut up about it.

Anyway, good luck. I've had some of the best times of my life since I stopped working. I'm a musician and I get to practice 3 or 4 hours a day, go to rehearsals, gigs, it's great. Between mowing the lawn, cleaning the house, laundry, shopping, cooking, the gym 4 or 5 times a week, and everything else, I'm busier now than when I was working.

• 5 weeks later...