Want to get my first Old School tattoo.

Mohawkedleatherguy

For a number of years now I have been wanting to get my first tattoo, and then really in the traditional way, what is known as 'Old School'. The heavy work, with those thick black lines and areas, very graphic. So not those trendy colors or vague shades that you often see now. But just like sailors once used to have it done. That’s the way I really want to look like myself. So also with those simple really traditional, straightforward plain motifs like eagles or anchors or ships. I think that is incredibly cool. Every time I see a tough guy with such a tough Old School tattoo on his biceps, I am really jealous. As no one in my family is tattooed, I however certainly have to overcome a social threshold.

But apart from that, there is the fear of that tattoo needle, of the moment it will touch my skin and stays on touching. And also of that buzzing sound, which reinforces that. I have been struggling with that for years. That fear has prevented me from getting my first tattoo so far. But now I really want to finally take the step to get my first tattoo.

Only: it really has to be Old School. Now I understand that, because of the extra thick needles and old-fashioned vibrating machines that are used for it, it is a lot more intense than modern tattoos. Can one of the forum members tell me something about that? Is it true that Old School is more painful, or is that not so bad? Because I would really like to get an Old School tattoo, but at the same time I really dread that thick tattoo needle.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• For a number of years now I have been wanting to get my first tattoo, and then really in the traditional way, what is known as 'Old School'. The heavy work, with those thick black lines and areas, very graphic. So not those trendy colors or vague shades that you often see now. But just like sailors once used to have it done. That’s the way I really want to look like myself. So also with those simple really traditional, straightforward plain motifs like eagles or anchors or ships. I think that is incredibly cool. Every time I see a tough guy with such a tough Old School tattoo on his biceps, I am really jealous. As no one in my family is tattooed, I however certainly have to overcome a social threshold. But apart from that, there is the fear of that tattoo needle, of the moment it will touch my skin and stays on touching. And also of that buzzing sound, which reinforces that. I have been struggling with that for years. That fear has prevented me from getting my first tattoo so far. But now I really want to finally take the step to get my first tattoo. Only: it really has to be Old School. Now I understand that, because of the extra thick needles and old-fashioned vibrating machines that are used for it, it is a lot more intense than modern tattoos. Can one of the forum members tell me something about that? Is it true that Old School is more painful, or is that not so bad? Because I would really like to get an Old School tattoo, but at the same time I really dread that thick tattoo needle.
    • Thanks @Dan .  He said once healed he will see if he needs to add some extra lines to the peony, but be didn't want to do anything too busy as everything else I've got it quite simple and not line heavy. The seahorse he was tossing between doing blues and greens but then decided to go darker to balance out the elbow. 
  • Last Sparrow Tattoo Sponsors

• Topics

• Blog Entries